March 4, 2008




Town Council President John Perrin opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. with the pledge to the American flag. Council members present were John Perrin, Joe Noonan, Scott Alspach, and Terry Spencer.  Also present were Attorney Robbins, Clerk-Treasurer Maribeth Alspach and Department Heads Jim Lasiter, Cindy Yates and Ed Stephenson.  Council Harris and Fire Chief Hedrick were absent.  Councilman Spencer offered the opening prayer. 



Councilman Spencer moves to approve the minutes of the previous meeting and is seconded by Councilman Noonan.  Vote 4 affirmative. 






President Perrin asks to allow a resident that is present to address the council so that he can leave without waiting through the entire meeting.  John Dickens, 952 N. Combs Road, Greenwood states that he is here to request use of the ball diamond for a traveling baseball team made up of CPCSC 11 year olds.  Mr. Dickens would like to use the ball diamond on Tuesday and Thursday evenings through June from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.  He understands another team has requested use of the diamond Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights.  Mr. Dickens contends that the other traveling team is comprised of Center Grove students.  Another resident, John Purdie of 45 Rypma Row is also in attendance and has come to make a similar request.  He is asking to use the ball diamond one or two nights a week for the 4 – 6 year old Little League teams to practice. He would need the diamond from April through May.

After much discussion it is determined that Mr. Dickens and Mr. Fields (coaches of the traveling teams) can work out a schedule between them to share the diamond on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.  Mr. Fields has reserved the diamond but is aware that the schedule is subject to change.  He used the diamond last year as well and has been very responsible in maintaining the diamond and actually making some improvements to it says PW Supt. Lasiter.  The following tentative schedule is agreed to:

            Monday nights from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Whiteland Little League (4-6 yr age group)

            Tuesday & Thursday nights to be shared by the traveling teams (they will provide a schedule

to the Town Hall of which team is using the diamond which hours)

Wednesday nights – Special Olympics

Friday, Saturday & Sunday are open times for residents.  These days could be booked for

tournaments or special practices or events from time to time.

When the office receives the schedule from Mr. Fields and Mr. Dickens we will publish a calendar that will be provided to each of the teams and the Police Department.  All adult representatives of these teams / organizations will provide detailed contact information to the Town Hall in the event we would need to contact them.



Proctor Park Update

Clerk-Treasurer Alspach presents copies of her status report and work log for the project.  She gives a brief overview of the list of items that need to be completed or accomplished before the Dedication Ceremony on May 3rd.  We have received confirmation that MG Umbarger will be attending the ceremony.  We have received regrets from Governor Daniels and Senator Lugar due to scheduling conflicts.  We are still waiting to hear from Lt. Governor Skillman.

Councilman Perrin states the Motorcycle Expo was a huge success.  Although we didn’t raise a lot of money we distributed hundreds of fliers about the project and the Charity Ride.  Marshal Stephenson states that he has been advised that the Little League Parade is the same day as the Charity Ride.  The

Town Council

Page Two

March 4, 2008


parade begins at 9:00 a.m. and the Motorcycle Ride leaves the Eagles at 11:30 a.m.  This should not be an issue.  Clerk-Treasurer Alspach states the cycles will come through New Whiteland (on Tracy Road) as they return from Atterbury.  They want to drive by Proctor Park on their way back to the Eagles.


Dispatch Service Request

Deputy Chief Jared Donica representing the Whiteland Volunteer Fire Department is here to answer any questions. President Perrin states there is some concern about providing this service at no charge as the New Whiteland tax payers pay for the service for our Police Officers and Dispatchers.  Perrin asks Marshal Stephenson to get an estimate of any additional revenues that would come to New Whiteland through the 911 fund if we agree to dispatch for the Whiteland Fire Department.  Perrin asks for the increased revenue projections and a tangible agreement from the Whiteland Fire Department to pay a specific percentage of any communication repairs or upgrades.  Perrin directs Stephenson to stay in contact with WFD and advise them there is a need to attend the next meeting.


330 Whiteland Road

Attorney Robbins has contacted two agencies to request appraisals.  He will order the appraisals and have the reports for the March 18th meeting. PW Supt. Lasiter states he, Clerk-Treasurer Alspach, Marshal Stephenson, the architect and representatives of AT&T went through the building last Friday.  Marshal Stephenson has presented square footage needs to the architect and we have requested quotes for moving the dispatch equipment and for security hardware.  Lasiter is meeting with the architect in the morning and should have the renovation cost estimate back next week.  Lasiter thinks his employees can handle the utility office and council room work but we would have to outsource the work in the PD due to time constraints.  Councilman Noonan states there is several thousand pounds of wiring already pulled in both parts of the building – that should make all work for phones, audio, video, etc. much easier.


Flood Issues

Councilman Spencer asks if there were any issues this week due to all the rain.  PW Lasiter states they had to manually run some of the pumps for awhile but no flooding issues in town. 


Water Tower Lease

PW Supt. Lasiter received a response from the Town’s counter offer.  While Unison has agreed to the higher lease buyout amount they modified the revenue split for new contracts from 50/50 to 65/35 in their favor.  Supt. Lasiter recommends turning this information over to Attorney Robbins so that he can negotiate with them directly.  Council approves.


Police Department Vehicle Purchase

Marshal Stephenson states that Clerk-Treasurer Alspach has been gathering quote information.  He asks if the council would consider authorizing ordering the cars.  Clerk-Treasurer Alspach states she has received 3 quotes and is waiting for one more from Lincoln Bank.  She cautions that the payments of the proposed new vehicle purchase are approximately $8,200.00 more per year than we have been paying over the last 3 years.  Alspach is concerned as to where that money will come from in future year budgets.  President Perrin states he was concerned about this also.  He notes that since we haven’t gotten approval for our 2008 budget and there has been some talk of the State freezing budgets we need to be prepared for no increases next year.  Perrin states we may have to reduce the order to try and keep payments down.   Councilman Alspach recommends rethinking the decision to go with the more expensive Crown Vics.  He notes the Impalas were $3,000 cheaper and got better gas mileage.  As we have no control over the ever rising cost of gas we may want to reconsider.  The cost savings may be enough to allow us to order four cars. Marshal Stephenson states either vehicle is okay with him but his officers prefer the Crown Vics.  He would like to order 4 cars but could get by with three if necessary.

Town Council

Page Three

March 4, 2008



Phone System Upgrade

Clerk-Treasurer Alspach reports she has requested that Embarq extend our existing contract with no rate increase.  She has explained to them that we are considering relocating some of our offices and would not want to move phone lines twice.  They are in agreement and would waive the contract if we don’t move and wanted to proceed with the system upgrade.  They also indicated if we consolidated some of our offices it would greatly reduce the cost of the new system.


Salt Issue

PW Supt. Lasiter states that many municipalities have run short or out of salt this winter.  Whiteland has been sharing their salt with the schools and consequently they ran short.  We had ordered four loads of salt and Jim gave one load to Whiteland.  They will pay the bill rather than pay us back with salt.  Jim wanted the council to be aware of this.


Annual Crime Statistics

Marshal Stephenson would like to do a 15 minute presentation at the next meeting.  Council approves.



Ordinance 2075

Attorney Robbins notes there was some confusion as to whether this had been noticed for a Public Hearing.  A public notice was published for the initial reading of the ordinance. As there was no public in attendance there was no need for a public hearing. The notice was properly provided and the ordinance was read in two separate meetings and did pass twice.


Clerk-Treasurer Alspach presents a memo for a transfer within the Water Utility.  Council approves.


Ordinance Recodification

Marshal Stephenson states there are a couple of issues he would like Attorney Robbins to research in the recodification.  In the section pertaining to vicious dogs there does not appear to be an abatement procedure.  Attorney Robbins will research State law and report his findings.  Stephenson also asks that he check to be certain all parking fines are consistent with the $25.00 penalty.  He believes there is still one area with a $10.00 penalty that needs to be revised.



Ray Rodgers reports that the four firefighters are on their way back from South Dakota with the new engine.  They should arrive around 6:00 p.m. tomorrow night.


Mike Chitwood, 89 Beech Court and Trevor Burdine, 504 Hollybrook are present tonight representing Scout Troop 615.  The boys are working on merit badges.


Being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 8:21 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,



Maribeth Alspach, Clerk- Treasurer



Approved: _____________________________  

                 John Perrin, President