NEW WHITELAND TOWN COUNCIL

OCTOBER 17, 2006

MEETING MINUTES

 

Town Council President John Perrin opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. with the pledge to the American flag. Council members present were Joe Noonan, Scott Alspach, Don Harris and Terry Spencer.   Also present were Attorney Stephen Watson, Clerk-Treasurer Maribeth Alspach along with Department Heads Mary Facemire, Ed Stephenson, Brian Hedrick, PW Supt. Jim Lasiter and Office Manager Cindy Yates.  Councilman Harris offered the opening prayer. 

 

MINUTES

Member Harris moves to approve the minutes of the October 3rd meeting.  Motion seconded by Councilman Noonan.  Vote 5 affirmative.

Member Alspach moves to approve the minutes of the October 6th Executive Session.  Motion seconded by Councilman Harris.  Vote 5 affirmative.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Food Pantry

Clerk-Treasurer Alspach distributes information packets for the Weekly Promise Campaign with the Food Pantry and reports that New Whiteland will be collecting donations the week of November 12th to the 18th.  The Town Hall, Police and Fire Departments will be designated collection points.  Information will be put on the radio station, November utility bills and on fliers posted around town.

 

Fire Engine Purchase

Fire Chief Hedrick states that he met with a salesperson last week who brought a demo engine to the station.  The engine was manufactured by Crimson Fire Apparatus and has already been sold.  The demo engine had a 2 door enclosed cab and we need a 4 door.  The engine will fit in the existing station with about 6 inches to spare.  Hedrick has gotten new numbers from the bank and reports that if the engine cost $250,000 and we put 20% ($50,000) down we could get a 10 year loan at 7.5% interest with annual payments of $28,488.  Hedrick notes the down payment would come from the current Cum Fire Fund.  Hedrick adds that these proposed payments exceed our annual revenue generated from the Cum Fire tax distributions.  Hedrick states he believes he can re-write the specs and get the cost of the new engine down to $225,000.  If the down payment was $75,000 he thinks the annual payments would be $16,125. This could easily be covered with the Cum Fire Fund revenues.  Hedrick adds that this leaves some money in the account which will be needed for other equipment.  Hedrick states the Rescue Unit will need a new chassis in 5 – 6 years.  Hedrick states that since he looked at the demo engine Midwest has notified him that they have 3 similar trucks that would work for us.  Hedrick also contacted Pierse but their lease program payments exceed our Cum Fire annual revenues.  Council authorizes Hedrick to re-write the specs and advertise for bids.

Chief Hedrick also asks permission to advertise for firefighters.  Council asks if he has money in his budget to pay for the ad.  Hedrick says he does, council approves.

 

Skateboard Park

Clerk-Treasurer Alspach reports that she contacted the insurance company and was told there would be no additional premium if the skate park were approved.  They caution that signs need to be posted to protect the town from claims or liability in the event of injury or damage.  The Risk Management person sent us some recommended guidelines which were distributed to all the council along with the Parks Director and PW Supt.

Park Director Facemire asks where the maintenance funding will come from.  The packet from the insurance company suggests budgeting $8,000 per year.  The Parks Department doesn’t have that kind of money.  She cannot afford to replace playground equipment now.  Clerk-Treasurer Alspach voices concern about close proximity of proposed skate bark to Ball Park Drive – could be a safety issue.  President Perrin asks Robert Eddy and Corbin Combs to meet with Park Director Facemire, PW Supt. Lasiter and Marshal Stephenson to review the proposal.  If funds and contributions can be raised and plan is approved work could start next spring.

 

Town Council

Page Two

October 17, 2006

 

Limb Disposal

Councilman Spencer asks how much response have we had to being open one Saturday per month.  Supt. Lasiter states the 1st month 2 residents dropped off limbs – 1 was a town employee.  The 2nd month they only had 1 person drop off limbs.  The 3rd month they had 2 users, again 1 was a town employee.  Lasiter recommends suspending the program and reconsider extended hours after future storms.  Council agrees.

 

Proctor Park

Councilman Spencer met with the Proctor family to discuss renaming the Tot Park in the Raintree subdivision either Proctor Park or Joey Proctor Park.  The family was thrilled and stated Joey loved children and would have really liked that.  Joey Proctor was a Whiteland HS graduate who was killed earlier this year while serving in Iraq.  There is some discussion on the type of sign that would be erected at the Park.  President Perrin suggests soliciting donations.  Supt. Lasiter will get cost estimates on a monument sign similar to the one at the Plant.  He would also like to look at a small garden area and some lighting around or near the sign.  Councilman Spencer will contact the Proctors to see about getting a picture of Joey Proctor and Clerk-Treasurer Alspach will assist with the design and text for the sign.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Police Personnel

Marshal Stephenson states that Roy Hendershot has asked to be relieved of all supervisory duties due to some personal issues.  He will return to patrol officer status.  Effective October 18th Officer Ken Polley will assume those supervisory duties.

 

Halloween

Marshal Stephenson states the hours for trick or treating will be from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 31st.  The NWPD will be holding its annual vehicle inspection at 5:30 p.m. and Stephenson invites the council and any other interested persons to stop by the police station and observe.  Both the Police and Fire Departments pass out candy at their stations on Halloween.  President Perrin and Supt. Lasiter encourage people to donate bags of candy to both departments.

 

Health Insurance Proposal

Supt. Lasiter states that we continue to explore options to try and bring down the cost of health insurance.  He believed we had found a policy that would do that only to discover that due to network requirements some employees would have to change doctors or specialists.  It does not appear this plan will work for our group.  Lasiter will continue to research our options.

 

Cancelled Meeting

President Perrin states that our next meeting would be November 7th which is Election Day.  Pleasant 2 and Pleasant 7 precincts will be voting here at the Town Hall.  Perrin recommends canceling the meeting.  Council agrees.  The next regular council meeting will be November 21st.

 

Flood Hazard Area Ordinance

Councilman Spencer states that at the last Plan Commission meeting a recommendation was sent to the Council to approve the new Flood Hazard Ordinance.  Spencer states that since Attorney Robbins is not here tonight we don’t have an ordinance to adopt.  Spencer thinks we are under some time constraints.  Attorney Watson will check with Attorney Robbins and if the ordinance needs to be approved prior to the next meeting we can schedule a Special Meeting.

 

 

 

 

Town Council

Page Three

October 17, 2006

 

Fire Department Property Damage

Fire Chief Hedrick states that the Fire Engine was backed into the Explorer this week.  There was minimal damage done and he will not be filing an insurance claim.  The drivers involved will be written up for not communicating when moving the vehicles.

 

LEGISLATIVE

None.

 

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Cheryl Morphew, Executive Director of the Johnson County Development Corporation states that she met with Barbara Dunn-Stear and Margaret McGovern last week regarding the Industrial property they are marketing for Country Gate.  Morphew states she will be adding this property to their web-site for developers who are looking for land in Johnson County.  Morphew states that if the council were to annex across the railroad tracks, please let her know so that she can help us attract potential buyers / developers.

 

Being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 7:47 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

____________________________

Maribeth Alspach, Clerk- Treasurer

 

 

 

Approved: _____________________________  

                 John Perrin, President